Saturday, January 10, 2015

6 Month update - Gastric Sleeve Procedure

(update from my Gastric Sleeve page listed above)
________________________________________________________
Weight loss total January 10, 2014 - 6 and 1/2 months post op...115 lbs GONE!
________________________________________________________


Phew!!  I finally took the time to get back on here and give some updates.  I'm sorry I haven't been on in so long.  I didn't realize it had been that long.  In any event, here is my update.

As of this morning I am still sitting at 115 lbs lost at just over 6 months post-op! :)  I say still only because I've been at this same weight for about 3 weeks.  I'm not concerned at all.  I know that it's just something my body has to go through.  If anything these stalls are a good thing because they help you stop and re-evaluate what you are doing on a daily basis and what calories/protein/nutrients you are putting into your body.  This stall also happened to be over the holidays (more sugar added to my diet) and while we were on vacation (additional stress and change in habits) so again, I'm not worried.  ;-)

At this point in the journey I can eat just about everything I would've/could've before  BUT it's a WHOLE lot smaller portion and/or at a LOT slower pace.  For example if I want a piece of pizza that my son and husband are having I get one and it takes me every bit of a full hour probably of little bites to get that down without being in pain.  If I forget and take a normal or large bite or two back to back I literally have to stand up and stretch and walk around for a minute or two because its a discomfort in the top of my stomach that feels like I'm trying to shove two whole tomatoes through a straw....lol. ;-)  So as long as I remember that my stomach width is A LOT SMALLER than I do just fine.  People ask if I feel like I am deprived or if I regret this surgery and my answer is always the same...ABSOLUTELY NOT!  At this point I HIGHLY recommend this surgery for anyone who has battled their weight or is morbidly obese.  If you are 20 lbs over weight, this is probably not the solution for you.  Not that it wouldn't work because it would but you could get the same results by simply going on a juice diet for 2-3 weeks and shrinking your stomach in my opinion.  Those of us who are 50, 100, 200, or more lbs over weight the Gastric Sleeve Procedure really is what we need.  It's hard to explain exactly why I feel this way but let me just say this.  There are so many different emotions, hormones, habits, and addictions that come into play for those of us that are morbidly obese and having a permanent, no going back, force you to change or puke-your-guts-up solution really is the only way you are going to achieve permanent weight loss in my opinion.  For me, this is how this has gone.  I decided on the surgery on a day when I felt I had exhausted all my other options.  I was sick of my current weight and I was ready for a change...no matter what.  So I booked the surgery for like 2 months out.  Then it came down to the time to start the 10 day pre-op diet and I got going with excitement and nervousness.  By the 3rd day I was seriously thinking about cheating but the thought of getting all the way down to Mexico and then being denied because my liver hadn't shrunk enough to get out of the Dr's way was enough to make me be good...for the most part. ;-)  Then you are also committed to travel plans and have told family and friends what you are doing...so you go.  You are committed and you just go through the motions.  Then you get to Mexico and are excited about the new adventure...yet still apprehensive but again...you are here...there is no backing out now.  So you go through the surgery and begin your recovery.  You are just focused on recovery for the first several weeks.  Seriously, as you saw from above you are busy documenting every little detail...what you ate, what you've lost, whether you are pooping on schedule or loosing your hair, etc!  :-)  Hahahah....and that goes on.  You just plug along day by day going through the motions.  You have an experience where you are stressed or emotionally drained and you reach for one of your old go-to snacks that seemed to make you feel good before, you eat it just like you used to...and then it hits...within SECONDS....the discomfort and pressure and then depending on just how much you ate and/or how fast...you may throw it all back up.  Now for me, it wasn't on an emotional binge that I had my first "throw up" session but rather on some Quinoa that just didn't go down right.  ( I think I described that with the recipe above.)  The second time however was on a mindless, emotional reach into the fridge.  I didn't throw up my toenails...I just threw up the 2-3 bites that were sitting at the top of my stomach.  I don't know if I described this in the beginning but after the surgery I had a MAJOR fear of throwing up because I was worried about what it might do to my newly sutured/stapled/glued stomach.  So in a way that fear helped me a ton!  It made me THINK before I put things in my mouth.  And then when I would go past the thinking and caring and reach for a piece of food, my smaller stomach would step in and give me the extra reminder with the REALLY STRONG discomfort (not really pain...just uncomfortable).  So that's why in a nutshell I think this specific surgery is THE ONLY OPTION for people who are seriously overweight and don't get accepted onto The Biggest Loser or to train one-on-one with Chris and Heidi Powell. ;-)  This surgery has helped me to overcome habits and simply be more aware of my body as a whole.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not cured, fixed or done by any means.  I still struggle with addiction issues and emotional eating.  But I'm not beating myself up about how imperfect I am.  Rather I know this is a life-long journey...and I really am enjoying the ride.  

We recently went to Hawaii over Christmas and for me the proof was in the pudding.  I had so much fun with my family and friends and was able to do things I never would've been able to consider last year including fitting in the seats on the airplane, walking through the terminals, etc.  Like I said, I've only lost 115 lbs and I still have over 140 to go but the amount of energy, flexibility and stamina I have now is simply wonderful.  I feel good and I am just focusing on creating a healthy body that my spirit can reside in.

Happy New Year to everyone!!  I hope your year is filled with love, laughter and good memories.  MAKE your life what you want it to be.  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment